Martial Arts of the Federation: Sil Lum Hung Kuen Kung Fu
What will I learn in Kung Fu?
- Empty hand fist-and-foot fighting and self-defence
- Movement, strategy, grace, balance and power
- Chinese weapons
- Situational awareness
- Kung fu philosophy
Kung Fu Training Methods
Jibengong: foundational training
- systematic stretching
- stance training: horse stance, cat stance, bow-and-arrow stance, dragon stance
- horse stance punching and circular punching
- kicking exercises
- partner-based attack and defence drills
Empty hand sets
- these single-person forms are veritable encyclopaedia of martial arts techniques
- students learn the characteristics of the five animals: tiger, crane, snake, leopard, dragon
- applications to self-defence
Traditional Chinese weapons sets
- training with weapons teaches deeper lessons in body movement and self-defence
Why Learn Kung Fu?
Kung Fu is a wonderful martial art that trains the body and mind through an extensive program of stretching, technique practice, beautiful and functional choreographed sets (forms), visualisation, and partner practice.
Kung Fu completes our martial art by complementing the close range throwing and grappling methods of JiuJitsu and Judo with complementary fist-and-foot techniques.
Where JiuJitsu and Judo require a training partner and padded mats to practice, Kung Fu may be practiced between regular classes without partners or mats.
Our approach to Kung Fu is suitable for students aged 9 to 90.
What is Sil Lum Hung Kuen Kung Fu?
Hung Kuen (also known as Hung Gar) is one of the five famous styles of kung fu of the Southern Shaolin (Sil Lum) temple.
Hung Kuen emphasises strong stances and powerful, coordinated, whole-body power with self-defence and fighting applications ranging from close to long range, designed for use against multiple opponents.
Foundational training develops physical characteristics of strength, balance, and power, developing into more subtle and profound lessons in body awareness, grace and strategy through prolonged study and practice.
Find a Martial Arts school near you...
Box Hill South
Monday: 7:30 pm – 9 pm JiuJitsu & Judo
Wednesday: 7 pm – 8 pm Kung Fu
Wednesday: 8 pm – 9:30 pm JiuJitsu & Judo
Saturday: 11 am – 12:30 pm Junior JiuJitsu & Judo
Saturday: 2 pm– 3:30 pm JiuJitsu & Judo